News / Utah / 

Possible carbon monoxide leak sends 9 to hospital in Provo

(Mike Radice/KSL-TV)


1 photo

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO — Nine people from a four-plex were treated at a local hospital due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide Sunday.

It was the second time in 24 hours that emergency crews were called to The Boulders complex, 750 S. 650 West. But as of Sunday night, neither fire crews nor employees from Questar could find the source of the carbon monoxide.

About 2:30 p.m., Provo firefighters and the Red Cross were called to the apartments after a tenant reported their CO detector had gone off.

Two people were taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center by paramedics and six others drove themselves, said Provo Fire Battalion Chief Jeremy Headman. At least one child was reportedly affected. Six of those treated at the hospital were tenants and three were visiting guests, he said.


Those carbon monoxide detectors are so valuable, and this is proof of it.

–Jeremy Headman, Battalion Chief


At least two people were treated in a hyperbaric chamber Sunday afternoon, Headman said. As of Sunday night, he did not have updated conditions on the patients.

Questar shut off the gas to the building for the night.

Headman said Provo firefighters were called to the same complex the night before. At that time, gas company workers thought they had pinpointed the source of the carbon monoxide to a stove.

"Obviously that was not the problem," he said.

On Sunday, Headman said investigators believed a faulty appliance — such as a water heater, furnace or stove — was causing the leak, but they had not pinpointed where the carbon monoxide was coming from.

The important message from Sunday's event, he said, was that carbon monoxide detectors save lives.

"Those carbon monoxide detectors are so valuable, and this is proof of it," he said.

Photos

Pat Reavy

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast