Vatican details charges against ex-Dominican envoy

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 25, 2014 at 11:50 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican says its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic is facing accusations of possessing child pornography as well as sexually abusing minors.

The Vatican on Thursday released details about the accusations against Josef Wesolowski, who was placed under house arrest earlier this week when he was officially informed of the accusations against him.

The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said the restrictive measures were taken because the Polish prelate represented a flight risk and because Vatican prosecutors feared he might tamper with evidence.

The Holy See recalled Wesolowski last year after the archbishop of Santo Domingo told Pope Francis about rumors that Wesolowski had sexually abused teenage boys. Prosecutors there say he allegedly paid shoe-shine boys to masturbate.

Lombardi says an indictment and trial could take months.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast