Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Health officials say the first case of enterovirus 68 in a child in Connecticut has been confirmed.
The state Department of Public Health says it received confirmation Wednesday from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Dr. Karen Santucci of Yale-New Haven Hospital's children's emergency department said the 6-year-old girl was treated there last week and discharged.
Other hospitals in Connecticut have suspected cases of enterovirus 68 and are awaiting test results.
Authorities say 16 states now have confirmed cases of the uncommon virus, which can cause mild to severe illness with the worst cases needing life support for breathing problems. Doctors say most cases have symptoms like those of the common cold.
Kids with asthma have been especially vulnerable. No deaths have been reported.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.