News / Utah / 

Kitchen fire damages home

Kitchen fire damages home

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A man's house nearly burned down when he walked away from oil heating up on his stove.

It happened near 5900 South and 6000 West. Unified Fire Authority says the man was cooking and walked away for a moment. While he was gone, the stove and cabinets caught fire. Since the home's smoke detector wasn't working, he didn't know about the fire until he went back in to the kitchen.

Kitchen fire damages home

The man immediately grabbed his dog and cat and ran from his house. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, but the house sustained nearly $80,000 in damage.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast