News / Utah / 

Man accused of chaining girlfriend to engine block takes plea deal

Man accused of chaining girlfriend to engine block takes plea deal

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Gene Kennedy reportingA Mexican national pleads guilty to chaining his girlfriend to an engine block inside his West Valley City apartment.

There was supposed to be a preliminary hearing today, and the victim was ready to testify, but it didn't happen. That's because the suspect, Fernando Orozco-Trevizo, cut a plea deal.

The victim, Brandy Gonzales, did not have to take the stand and talk about an experience that shocked a lot of people. She said, "I'm glad it's over."

She said the last few months have been frustrating and that she was sick to her stomach.

Man accused of chaining girlfriend to engine block takes plea deal

When her boyfriend, Fernando Orozco-Trevizo, would leave his West Valley City apartment, he would chain Gonzales to an engine block. Originally, police said this bizarre torture went on at least a week. But outside the courtroom today, Gonzales said she it went on for two months. She said, "The chain went to the bathroom and to the couch, but I couldn't get to doors and windows

One December night, she said she was tired of it. While Gonzales was allowed to freely walk around the apartment, she took a chance. She said, "I knew I was gonna die that night. I knew I was gonna die or be seen on the news dead or found alive."

Brandy Gonzales
Brandy Gonzales

Gonzales used a dresser to barricade herself in the back bedroom. She then wrote "Call 911" in reverse in the condensation on the window. Neighbor Peter Erkelens saw it and took action. He told dispatchers, "Some lady asked me to call the police. She says she has to lock the door, she can't come out of the room."

Erkelens says, "I was disgusted. It's just not right."

Gonzales says, "I would like to talk to him, yeah, and thank him."

Now, the courts will put her ex-boyfriend behind bars. Fernando Orozco-Trevizo pleaded guilty to aggravated assault. In exchange for that, two other charges were dropped. He'll be sentenced in May and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office says Orozco-Trevizo could spend a maximum of five years in prison. Gonzales wishes it would be longer.


Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast