This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
OGDEN — A man accused of kidnapping and sexually abusing a minor appeared in court Monday morning, and KSL has learned there's new evidence that puts the 14-year-old alleged victim's testimony in doubt.
Ryan Mitchell Schaffer, 33, is charged with four first-degree felonies for aggravated kidnapping and three counts of forcible sodomy.
Instead of bargaining for a plea deal, both the defense and prosecution asked the judge to postpone the hearing for two weeks because prosecutors said they need to review new evidence in the case.
The Weber County attorney's office indicated to KSL that there is evidence to cause doubt that crimes happened the way the 14-year-old victim claims and the attorney's office said they will not prosecute based solely on an allegation.
The victim is accusing Ryan Schaffer of kidnapping and sexually abusing him in July of last year.
Prosecutors said they're going to use the next couple of weeks to investigate the allegations and try to come up with an agreement or deal for Schaffer.
The next hearing is April 21 at 9 a.m.