News / Utah / 

Roy families displaced when fire engulfs condo building

(Ravell Call, Deseret News)

16 photos

Show 2 more videos

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ROY — More than a dozen residents were displaced Wednesday after a three-alarm fire destroyed some condos and heavily damaged others.

The fire was reported just before 8 a.m. near 2700 West and 5500 South. Witnesses said they first saw flames on am outdoor deck on an upper level.

"I looked at the deck the first time, and it was little; and (I) came back and it was huge, engulfing all the decks on the side," said Trevor Henderson, a resident of the complex.

Henderson was one of the first to see the fire. He yelled for his wife to get their three girls — ages 4, 2, and 3 weeks — out into the car, while he went door to door.

"We were going to leave," Danielle Henderson said, "but then were like, 'Wait. Our house is burning down. I don't want to go.'"

The fire spread quickly, engulfing three condos. By the time firefighters arrived it was too dangerous to go inside.

"We did have a collapse on the side, so we did have heavy fire involvement that went from the second floor to the third floor and got up into the attic space," said Deputy Chief Jeff Comaeau, with the Roy City Fire Department.

It took about 15 firefighters to knock down the flames, but by then the damage was done.

"The whole thing is pretty destroyed. The balcony is off and everything," said condo owner Sheryl Branch.

No one was injured, but the result is devastating: the roof is collapsed and 12 to 18 people are displaced.

Many of the residents now feel like Trevor Henderson and his family. "We got to here, just out of the parking lot, and realized we don't know where we're going," he said.

Fortunately, Trevor Henderson's mother lives close by and came to the rescue with baby supplies. And if there's one thing the family is grateful for, it's that everyone is safe.

Stephanie Peterson says her daughter spotted the flames and also called 911 before the two of them started knocking on doors to get people awake and out.

"There was an explosion and I was standing right here on my porch, and the flames just braised my face. And we just started getting people out," she said. "If my daughter wouldn't have woke me up, our building wouldn't be standing here."

Resident Danielle Henderson said she was surprised at how quickly the fire spread.

"I looked out the window at the neighbor's deck, and it was just going so fast," she said. "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, we gotta get out now!'"

Investigators were working Wednesday afternoon to determine what caused the fire. Nobody was home in the condo where it started, they said, but they'll be interviewing that resident looking for answers.

Contributing: Mike Anderson


Shara Park


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast