Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — Candidates running for state office will still be allowed to take campaign contributions of any size after legislation to set limits was killed Monday night in the House with a 35-38 vote.
HB297 aimed to set limits on campaign contributions to “increase the confidence of the public that we are acting with integrity,” according to bill sponsor Rep. Brian King, D-Salt Lake City.
Multiple lawmakers said the bill has good intentions, but they questioned whether the bill would accomplish the sponsor’s intent and said it might just encourage more circumvention.
King said transparency is great idea but isn’t enough. He said high-end caps on campaign contribution amounts would prevent large amounts of money from corrupting future officeholders.
“We’ve come forward in many ways … but disclosure and transparency go only so far, and it’s not far enough,” King said.