News / Utah / 

Mother, 2 daughters homeless after morning house fire

(Provo Fire & Rescue)


3 photos

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO — A woman and her two daughters are out of their home after an early morning electrical fire in their mobile home Saturday.

Sometime after midnight, Leticia Quesada smelled smoke at her home near 850 W. Columbia Lane in Provo. Quesada and her two daughters were able to get out of the house without injuries, according to Lynn Schofield, fire marshal for Provo Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters from three stations responded to the fire and were able to put the fire out in less than 30 minutes. The fire, however, did an estimated $80,000 in damage, and the home is expected to be a “total loss.”

“The fire started in the wall area between the bathroom and the closet. The most likely cause of the fire is an electrical malfunction,” Schofield said.

The family didn’t have smoke alarms installed in their home.

“We were very fortunate,” Schofield said. “We remind everyone to have their smoke alarms and that they work. This could have had a much more unhappy outcome.”

The Red Cross responded to Quesada and her daughters and will provide the family with temporary housing for the immediate future.


Photos

Josh Furlong

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast