Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - The South African government says it is postponing the release of a report on controversial security upgrades to President Jacob Zuma's private home because of the death of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.
Allegations the government used $21 million of taxpayers' money to finance the security upgrades _ which reportedly include a swimming pool _ have caused a public outcry in South Africa. Zuma has rejected the criticism as unjustified.
The government said Monday the report won't be released this week amid the preparations for Mandela's funeral and a later date will be set in due course.
The government report was commissioned after the allegations became public. A separate investigation by the country's ombudsman started last year is about to be concluded.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)