Find a list of your saved stories here

Man killed in Logan Canyon accident identified

2 photos
Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LOGAN CANYON — Slick roads may be to blame for two rollovers on U.S. 89 Tuesday, killing a Tremonton man when a car went into the Logan River.

The crashes occurred about 14 miles east of Logan, the second of which killed 90-year-old Gordon Larson.

No one witnessed the crash, but Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Cade Brenchley said as many as 15 to 20 people reportedly rushed into the river and flipped Larson's car upright once it was discovered, but found the driver was already deceased.

"Anytime you can get people to get down in a cold river on a cold day and pick up a vehicle when it's completely on its top and flip it over, it's pretty impressive," Brenchley said. "Not only were they willing to attempt to do that to help their fellow man, but just to be able to do that from a physical standpoint."

Reports about the crashes started coming in about 4:20 p.m., UHP Sgt. Todd Royce said. Troopers said it appears slick road conditions were responsible for both rollovers.

The first car, a silver Honda, apparently hit a slick spot in the road and rolled off to the left, Royce said. The two occupants in the vehicle got a ride down the canyon to an area hospital before the second crash occurred. They later returned to the scene.

Royce was unsure how much time passed before the second car, a Buick LeSabre, rolled off the right shoulder in the same area and went into the river, killing Larson.

Logan resident Brenan Roberts, a passenger in the Honda, said he remembers little about the crash. The roads were so slippery, he said, he saw another driver who got out of his car slipping as he rushed over on foot to help him.

"We saw a car come fishtailing around the corner so we hit our brakes, and by that time it was too late and we just kept sliding," Roberts said. "We slid off the corner and rolled. We both went unconscious for a little bit."

Roberts said he and his friend crawled out a window and were attempting to warn drivers about the slick road. They eventually got a ride to the hospital, where Roberts was treated for lacerations to his hand.

Roberts said he didn't know anything about the second crash until he returned to the scene.

The road was partially closed while police cleaned up and reviewed the crash, Royce said, but traffic was allowed to pass through. The car was removed from the river and the partial closure lifted shortly after 8 p.m.


Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

McKenzie Romero


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast