News / Utah / Local

Family sends bobblehead 19 miles in the air to celebrate son's gift

By Candice Madsen | Posted - Aug 25th, 2013 @ 10:29pm

3 photos

Show 1 more video

HIGHLAND — A Highland family launched a bobblehead boy into space earlier this month to celebrate the real boy's life-saving donation to his sister.

"We promised Blair a hero party when he donated his bone marrow to his sister Natalie," explained father Tyler Fish.

Dressed in the same superhero cape and outfit as his bobblehead, the six-year-old could hardly wait for the launch. The event brought out the entire neighborhood and many people who have become heroes to the Fish family.

"We are so grateful for everybody that has helped us out and alleviated burdens off of our shoulders so that we can focus on the girls," said Tyler Fish.

Natalie Fish, 9, and her younger sister Alice, 4, inherited a rare variant of a disease where their immune system partially developed at birth but then started attacking itself.

The condition is called Leaky SCID (SCID is an acronym for Severe Combined Immune Deficiency) but is also known as the "bubble boy disease." Bone marrow transplantation is the most common treatment.

Alice's donor's story

A year after Alice's bone marrowtransplant the Fish family received a letterfrom her donor.

Michelle Kiger joined the registry whilein medical school. She is now completing aresidency program in pediatrics at Children'sHospital Colorado. Here is what she had tosay about the experience:

"I joined the registry in medical schoolduring a recruitment drive because it seemedlike a worthwhile and easy thing to do.

I never really imagined I would be amatch for someone! The call that I was amatch was truly thrilling.

I was at work and remember exactly whereI was sitting and who was with me at thetime. At that point, they told me I was oneof several potential matches.

So I was not sure what the odds were thatmy marrow would be the best match.

After more testing I was told they wantedme to go forward, which was an exhilaratingmoment - to realize I had the potential tohelp someone else in such a unique way.

As a resident in pediatrics, I wasparticularly excited to hear my marrow wouldbe going to a 2-year-old girl (which was allI knew about Alice until these past fewmonths).

The donation process was surprisinglyeasy. Everyone involved was incredibly kindand willing to work around my schedule asmuch as possible for the pre-op testing, andmy program was wonderful in giving me timeoff without hesitation for the actualdonation.

I was able to go home the same day, andthe recovery was easier than I hadanticipated. The hardest part was then havingto wait and pray for a year that thetransplant took without being able to hearany news or learn more about who Alice is butI certainly understand why they have thewaiting period in place.

I would strongly encourage everybody tojointhe donor registry!"

Blair's parents say he was nervous about the procedure but understood it would save his sister's life. "He told his grandma that ‘my blood is Natalie's medicine,'" said his mother, Elisabeth.

A year and a half after the transplant Natalie is doing well and for the first time in her life living like a fairly normal child. Earlier this year Make-A-Wish granted a dream vacation to Hawaii. "I think it was the first time she was smiling and really happy in a long time," Elisabeth remembered.

Although Natalie is doing better she still requires multiple rounds of medications every day and even the slightest cough still causes her parents to panic.

"Nights are fairly restless and worrisome," said Elisabeth. "Then morning comes and we are so relieved and grateful when our girls wake up."

Alice still faces a tough battle. She also received a bone marrow transplant. Her donor was anonymous but provided a perfect match.

"It is just amazing that someone out there who doesn't know you, wants to do good," said Elisabeth Fish. However, complications developed after transplant and Alice will need another transplant.

"With Alice, for the time being, we understand how serious her case is because we just don't know how to fix it just yet," said her mother. "She is a tough cookie. We are just going forward and each day we have to find strength and sometimes it is the little things that keep us going." Planning the balloon launch provided the family with a much-needed distraction.

"It is nice to have something else to think about, to keep our chins up," Tyler said.

The launch was a success. Bobblehead Blair soared 95,000 feet into the air and touched space before the weather balloon popped.

Then a parachute deployed and brought the doll and its spacecraft safely back to Earth. GoPros attached to the spacecraft captured the entire journey on video. GPS allowed Tyler to track the journey and find the landing spot near Coalville.

"I am not as proud of the launch as I am my son Blair," said Tyler.

The Fish family hopes the YouTube video they created of bobblehead Blair's journey to space will draw attention to the need for bone marrow donation. It is easy to register online at

"If a 6-year-old can do it, anyone can do it," Tyler said.


Related Links

Related Stories

KSL Weather Forecast

Updated: Saturday June 23, 2018 5:42 pm