Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SPRINGVILLE — As temperatures warm up and swell into the 90s or 100s, families are flocking to parks to soak up the sun and enjoy the weather.
In mere seconds, Utah's hot temperatures turned an afternoon at the park into a trip to the emergency room for a boy simply going down a slide.
Brooke Favero decided to take her family to a park one warm day. Her 3-year-old son, Brice Favero, wanted to go on the playground, but she didn't realize how hot the playground equipment had gotten in the sun.
"Brice decided he wanted to go down the slide," Favero said. "So he went down the slide and he cried just a little bit, but nothing to ever think anything was wrong."
Later that afternoon, her son continued to show signs he was hurt. He was visibly uncomfortable, so she decided to take a look for herself.
"We noticed this huge-size wound on his bottom," Favero said. "At the time, we still didn't even know what it was."
Brice was rushed to the hospital, but by that time his burn had started to blister. He was treated and expected to make a quick recovery.
While temperatures didn't even reach 90 degrees the day the Faveros went to the park, the young boy had made contact with a slide that had been in full sunlight for hours. Child safety advocates say playground equipment, like slides, can reach 140 degrees.
"Beware of those slides," Favero said. "They are so hot, especially on these hot summer days."
Doctors say Brice should recover in a couple of weeks. Favero said it's a good reminder to keep a watchful eye on where kids play.