News / Utah / 

More details emerge about man killed in officer-involved shooting

By Andrew Adams | Posted - Apr 3rd, 2013 @ 8:51am

WILLARD — New details are emerging that paint a picture of a Sandy man just before he was killed in an officer-involved shooting near Willard.

Relatives of Cody Ramseyer apparently warned Sandy police that he was looking to kill himself and potentially take officers with him, as much as three weeks prior to his death.

Police reports obtained by the Standard Examiner show officers were called to Ramseyer's home March 3.

At that time, Ramseyer's wife told officers he was talking about committing suicide, according to the police report. That visit also reportedly prompted an alert to other officers that Ramseyer had threatened to take out officers and himself and that he may be on meth.

Additional calls came in from family members on March 13 and March 27. On March 29 Ramseyer crashed his SUV near the Willard exit of I-15 and police said he started acting aggressively.

He told officers he had a gun and was going to shoot officers and himself. A witness on I-15 caught some of the scene on video.

"The man's been shot, and he's down on the ground," the witness said in the video. "He lied down, and then he got back up, acted like he was dead. Now he's probably dead."

After leading officers on a chase through Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties, the chase ended when Ramseyer's GMC Denali crashed in a ditch on I-15 near the Willard exit. Pleasant View Police Department released a statement Monday responding to why officers believed Ramseyer's behavior was "aggressive" prior to the shooting.

Before shooting Ramseyer, police say they tasered him and he still continued to act aggressively. Ramseyer "refused to exit the vehicle or show his hands as instructed by the officers," and after he did exit his truck, "indicated that he had a gun," "indicated that he was going to kill the officers" and "told the officers to kill him," according to the statement.

Ramseyer was pronounced dead at McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden. Police are conducting a investigation on the events surrounding the shooting, but they did not find a gun on him.

Contributing: Pat Reavy

Related Stories

Andrew Adams

KSL Weather Forecast