ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A woman who was trying to make waffles was injured earlier this week after bullets being stored in an oven exploded, according to police.
Aalaya Walker, 18, turned on an oven at a friend's house shortly after 9 p.m. Monday to preheat, unaware her friend, JJ Sandy, 25, was storing a magazine from his .45-caliber Glock 21 in the oven.
The magazine exploded, spraying fragments at a high speed and hitting Walker, according to NBC News. Walker picked some of the fragments out of her legs and chest before taking a bus to the hospital, where she was treated and later released.
Walker met with officers, who found Sandy at his apartment and found that he had a concealed carry permit. He told them there were four rounds in the magazine and showed officers the melted magazine, which he had retrieved from the trash.
"He stated that he does not have a temperature gauge on the oven so he estimates the temperature based on how far the knob is turned," an officer wrote in a report, according to the Tampa Bay Times. "I observed that the inside of the oven was damaged."
The .45-caliber bullets commonly used in Glocks can explode at temperatures as low as 280 degrees, or lower if they are exposed to heat for long periods of time.
No charges were filed in the case. It was unclear why Sandy had been storing the magazine in his oven.