This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- A "germ expert" and author of a New York Times bestselling book says hidden dangers in the home could play a role in making you sick.
Dave Wentz, author of the "The Healthy Home," said dangers can include many things, like plastics in the kitchen.
"Plastics are most commonly made from crude oil and natural gas, and often modified with chemical additives to ensure color, texture, resistance, and flexibility," his website says. It also states that toxins can leach over time and the process is sped up by microwaving, washing with harsh detergents, or prolonged contact with fatty or oily foods. He says microwave-safe and heat resistant glass containers and ceramics are good substitutes.
He said most nonstick cookware is coated with PTFE, which he claims can release toxic gases when heated.
Wentz says synthetic cleaners can be unhealthy, also. "Most domestic cleaning products contain numerous toxic chemicals," he writes. He also points out that household cleaners are a significant source of indoor air pollution, and can be absorbed into the skin.
He said manufacturers are required to douse mattresses in chemicals to make them flame-resistant. He contents people can breathe fumes from the chemicals while they sleep.
And, he suggests not hanging your dry cleaned clothes in the bedroom. He point out that chemicals commonly used on the clothes can emit vapors for days or weeks.
His website, www.myhealthyhome.com offers an interactive tour of a home to see more possible dangers.