News / Utah / 

Dog saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning

Dog saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MURRAY — A family was saved from carbon monoxide poisoning when their dog woke them up and alerted them to the danger.

Tonya Ostrander and her daughter Chehala Moore took the 4-year-old Chihuahua "Snow," home from the Humane Society of Utah on a trial adoption. According to Ostrander, the dog began barking during the night awakening her and her daughter on December 10. Ostrander and her daughter both realized that they were ill, and they called an ambulance. Both were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning which is often fatal.

"I know Snow saved our lives," Ostrander said. "We probably would have never woken up if she hadn't started barking to alert us that something was really wrong."

After recovering from their ordeal, Ostrander and her daughter officially adopted "Snow" who had already been rescued from a shelter in Los Angeles. Moore is legally blind and now uses Snow as he constant guide.

Related Stories

Faith Heaton Jolley

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast