This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — Life is a complicated and messy endeavor. Life Coach Kim Giles is here to help you with simple, principle-based solutions to the challenges you face. Coach Kim will empower you to get along with others and become the best you.
I enjoyed reading your article “Surviving the Family Holiday Party” and am using the Principles of Truth points in my life. I am an elementary school principal and have been thinking that it would be very good for kids to learn these points. I was wondering if you would word the points differently for kids and share the kids’ points with me. Thank you for your time and the articles you share with all of us.
There are many things you can do to help build confidence in kids. One of the most powerful ways to instill confidence in children is simply be listening to them. When you take time to listen to a child's thoughts, feelings and ideas, you are showing him he is an important person.
Below are some principles you could also discuss with children to build a solid foundation of healthy thinking while they are young. This would be a fantastic tool for parents and teachers.
I recommend taking one point each week and having a discussion with the children in your class, or family, about what it means. Let them share their ideas about it and discuss why it is true. Then, repeat the point out loud together every day for a week before moving on to the next one.
There is also a PDF with these points available online that you can download.
If children are taught to see themselves and other people accurately, this will benefit them throughout their lives. Their core fear is that they aren't good enough — this is your core fear, too. These principles give you the power to overcome that fear by claiming the right to choose how you will see yourself.
Principles of truth can help me escape fear and remember who I am.
- I am a unique, amazing, superhero kind of person. There will never be another me. I am the one who will decide how I will feel about myself. I am my goodness, my character, my talents and my kindness. This is who I am.
- What other people think of me doesn’t matter. If they say mean things about me, it doesn’t change my value. I am still the same me. I can ignore mean comments because I am a good and important person, and nothing will ever change that. I know who I am.
- My value comes from the fact that I am unique. I don’t waste time comparing myself to other people. I am the perfect me and they are the perfect them. Our differences make us both amazing.
- My life is a classroom and I am here to learn and grow. Every experience I have teaches me something. I am right on track in my process of learning. I am doing great.
- If I make a mistake, I apologize and work to do better in the future. I am still a good person. It was just a lesson.
- No one is better or worse than anyone else. We all have the same value. I choose to see every person as the same as me.
- I never gossip, criticize or judge other people. We are all doing the best we can with what we know. We are all learning and growing. I can forgive others.
- I am here to help other people. I am always looking for people who need help or friendship. I am a friend to all. I have the power to treat people with love and kindness, even when they don’t deserve it. I do this because I am a kind person.
- I choose my attitude in each situation. I can choose to feel bad about myself and scared. Or I can choose to feel like a superhero — strong, safe and loving. I choose a positive attitude every time.
I choose to feel strong, safe and loving. I believe in myself. I have everything I need to succeed in life. I am the amazing me.I hope this is what you had in mind.
*About the Author: Kimberly Giles -------------------------------- *Kimberly Giles gives her advice in the "LIFEadvice" series every Monday on ksl.com. She is the president of Claritypoint Life Coaching and a sought-after life coach and popular speaker who specializes in repairing self-esteem. Listen to her Self Esteem CPR Workshop at www.claritypointcoaching.com.**