News / Utah / 

Fire does $100K in damage to Bountiful home

Fire does $100K in damage to Bountiful home

11 photos

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BOUNTIFUL — A family is hoping to return home soon after a fire gutted their garage Thursday night, leaving the structure unstable.

The fire started at about 7 p.m. at 3013 S. 100 West in Bountiful. An appliance tripped a breaker, and during efforts to fix it, the three occupants of the house smelled smoke. They went room to room and eventually found that the two-story garage in the back of their home was on fire.

"He said when he opened the door, the whole garage was on fire," South Davis Metro Fire Department's Jeff Bassett said.

The man closed the garage door and all three occupants left the house before calling the fire department. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was venting through windows and the roof, before it reached other areas of the house.

Bassett said 19 firefighters assisted in fighting the blaze and there were no injuries. Because of the wind, a crew stayed through the night to ensure that there were no flare-ups. The occupants of the house are staying with family and friends until they can return home.

Damage is estimated to be about $100,000, according to Bassett. He said closing the door to the garage helped prevent further damage.

"That is the most critical part — closing the door," he said. "It slows down the progression of the fire and could keep it from spreading to other parts of the house."


Related topics

Stephanie Grimes


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast