Estimated read time: Less than a minute
SOUTH JORDAN — A family of six had to relocate, and find a new home after their house in South Jordan burned around midnight on Friday.
Fire officials say the homeowner was burning some items in his fireplace, when the flames went through the fire wall and spread to the attic.
"We were dispatched to a fire that was reported to be coming out of the chimney and attic area of the residence," said Reed Thompson, the Batallion Chief of the South Jordan fire department. "
Seven units responded, and got the fire under control quickly. The fire was contained to the second floor and the attic space, but the flames did about $15,000 in damage. Exactly what caused the fire to spread is still under investigation.
"Currently, the house is not occupiable," Thompson said. "We have a building inspector coming out to verify that this morning."
The family was evacuated safely and no one was injured in the fire.