This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- Looking for something other than pumpkin pie to serve for Thanksgiving dessert?
Pastry chef Mary Cech from The Farm at Canyons Resort in Park City shares a recipe for Honey Braised local Apple Tart. It's currently found on the menu at The Farm.
There are three components to the dessert: Farm Apples (below), Cheddar Pecan Streusel, and Cheddar Pastry Squares.
The dessert is delicious without the cheddar pastry if you prefer a simpler version of apples, streusel and ice cream.
4 Granny Smith apples
2 Tbsp butter
3/4 C. honey wine vinegar
1/2 C. honey, slide ridge
1/4 C. water
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
1/4 tsp. salt
- Melt together in a wide-mouthed sautee pan or skillet all the ingredients except the apples.
- Bring to a boil and caramelize.
- Quickly lay the apple slices on the caramel and continue cooking; DO NOT stir very much! They will release their water and thin the sauce. Cook only until al'dente.
- Quickly stir in the remaining ingredients below, remove apples to a hotel pan and reduce and cook until a thick sauce-like caramel is achieved.
- Pour caramel over apples in hotel pan.
- When apples have cooled, pack into pint containers and store in cooler.