This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake firefighters evacuated a downtown hotel shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday after a housekeeper inadvertently discharged a canister of bear repellent spray in a hallway.
According to a Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman, the some 200 people were evacuated from the Marriott Hotel at 75 S. West Temple.
One person was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for treatment. Paramedics treated other people at the scene.
Most bear sprays contain hot chili pepper extract or capsaicin. According to a U.S. Forest Service website, if a bear repellent spray canister inadvertently discharges in a vehicle, "the operator could become incapacitated or physically affected by the spray."
When the spray comes in contact with skin, especially eyes or mucous membranes, it is painful. Breathing small particles of the spray as it disperses can cause difficulty breathing, according to Wikipedia.