News / Utah / 

High speed chase stretches more than 100 miles

By Benjamin Wood | Posted - Aug. 12, 2011 at 6:33 p.m.

3 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

HEBER CITY — A high-speed chase that spanned nearly 100 miles ended Friday when the driver of a stolen vehicle crashed and rolled his car, police said.

Michael Moses Gutierrez, 28, sustained minor injuries and was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of auto theft and fleeing from authorities.

Police were first alerted to a report of a stolen car at 2:10 p.m. near 300 West and 7200 South, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. Officers were able to track the vehicle using GPS, and the driver initiated a pursuit on I-15 near 3300 South.

Unified police officers terminated their pursuit shortly after, Hoyal said, but continued to assist Utah Highway Patrol in its pursuit of the vehicle through Parleys Summit. UHP broke off that chase near Heber, but unmarked patrol vehicles continued to follow the car.

As the chase reached Heber, police received information suggesting the driver may be a wanted fugitive classified as "dangerous and armed." During the pursuit, Gutierrez placed a call to dispatchers saying he had a gun and was going to shoot himself, Hoyal said.

The pursuit began again outside Heber on U.S. 40. At that point, the driver accelerated to speeds between 90 and 100 mph and intentionally crashed his vehicle near Strawberry Reservoir, Hoyal said.

Upon arrest, police determined Gutierrez was unarmed and not the fugitive wanted by the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team.



Benjamin Wood


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast