News / Utah / 

Newspaper Delivery Man Saves Family From Burning Home

Newspaper Delivery Man Saves Family From Burning Home

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Paul Nelson, KSL NewsradioFire officials say a man delivering newspapers may have saved a North Salt Lake family from a fire.

It started when Deseret Morning News deliverer Doug Smith saw an orange glow inside a garage on Raygene Way.

Steve Cox, South Davis Metro fire marshal, says, "He could tell there was a fire in the garage, so he ran to the front door, knocked on the door and rang the doorbell."

Cox says there were seven people sleeping inside, and Smith's quick actions may have saved their lives.

He says, "There was a great possibility that could have happened because the fire vented right out the front of the garage, and there are two bedrooms right there."

Cox says by the time the family was awakened, the smoke detectors had not gone off. He says flames were shooting up about 30 feet in the air.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast