This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY -- Fireworks started a fire at a shed attached to a carport at a Salt Lake town home.
The fire started Saturday night near a 12-unit town home on Independence Boulevard.
The Salt Lake City Fire Investigation Unit said children playing with fireworks 3 feet away from the shed accidentally started the blaze. The kids, who are about 8 years old, said a fountain-type firework was knocked over and shot sparks into the shed wall.
The children thought they had extinguished the fire, but about an hour later the fire ignited. Firefighters put out the blaze, which did about $50,000 worth of damage to the shed, carport and nearby vehicles.
Fire officials said the children were unsupervised at the time of the fire.