News / Utah / 

Boy rescued at Grantsville Reservoir, flown to hospital

By Benjamin Wood | Posted - Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:27 p.m.

7 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

GRANTSVILLE — A 10-year-old boy was rescued after falling into the water at Grantsville Resevoir and flown to the hospital Saturday night.

On Sunday, he was talking, eating and asking for some movies to watch.

Police say 10-year-old Carson Jones, from Grantsville, was pulled from the water and revived by a witness of the event at approximately 7:30 p.m.

Carson was taken by Lifeflight to Primary Children's Medical Center where he was in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit, said Tooele County Sheriff Chief Deputy Duke North.

North said the boy was with his family at the Grantsville Reservoir where he was playing on the shore. After slipping on some wet rocks, Carson sank and surfaced several times, each time moving farther from the shore.

Approximately 20 witnesses jumped into the water to rescue the boy. Adrian Baum found Carson under the water and pulled him to the surface.

"I almost told myself I had to give up because I couldn't breathe, couldn't see," Baum said. "I was honestly losing hope. I told myself I needed to go down one more time."

A second swimmer, Zachary Mitchell, helped swim Carson to shore.

"Adrian was clearly exhausted and couldn't get him any farther than bringing him up, so I took him and swam into shore," Mitchell said.

Tooele resident Roger Ekins, an EMT and bystander, performed CPR on Carson, North said. Carson eventually started breathing on his own before being transported to the hospital.

"I just think it's crazy," Baum said. "It's a miracle is what it is, that that kid is still alive today."

Jennifer Clark witnessed the incident and said the boy was playing with other children on rocks near the water when he fell in. She said the boy had been under the water for between five and 10 minutes when he was rescued and did not appear to be breathing.

"He was completely lifeless," Clark said.

Hailey Jones, Carson's mother, said Carson is recovering well, talking normally and recognizing his family. She said he is expected to stay in the hospital for at least one more night of recovery.


Story written by Benjamin Wood with contributions from the news team



Benjamin Wood


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast