News / Utah / 

Police, Family Search for Motive in Shooting

Police, Family Search for Motive in Shooting

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Sandra Yi ReportingInvestigators in Garfield County still don't know what caused a man to go on a violent rampage at Panguitch Lake, that included attempted murder. The incident left a man paralyzed.

Police say the victim, Tracy Armstrong, didn't know the man who shot him. Armstrong, a husband and father of nine, has been in intensive care since Friday. Relatives and police are struggling to know why this happened.

Armstrong's sister-in-law, Kristin Beckstead, said, "I think it's a miracle that he's alive."

Armstrong was shot three times, police say in cold blood. He's now in a Provo hospital, paralyzed from his chest down.

"I can't imagine anybody wanting to do this to him," Beckstead said.

Police say they have few answers. Arrested is 24-year-old Jasson Hines of Las Vegas.

Police say Hines and his family went to Panguitch Lake Friday for a reunion.

"Tracy was just checking a family into their lodge," Beckstead explained. "They rent cabins. They had reserved a cabin and they had come to check in. So while he was checking them in, the son came in and just started shooting."

Police say after the shooting, Hines stood over his victim, taunting him and saying things like, "You're gonna die," and "You're evil."

"I don't know why he picked Panguitch. I don't know why he picked Tracy," Beckstead said.

She says Armstrong's 16-year-old son ran to call 911 when he saw Hines pull out the gun. Police say Hines tried to look for the teen, even fired his gun twice inside a trailer where he thought the son was hiding.

Investigators say Hines then ran to a nearby campground, where he threatened people and tried to kidnap another child.

"It's very bizarre, very random," Beckstead said.

Hines' family tried to stop Hines. His father pointed Hines out to police, who struggled during the arrest.

Beckstead says her brother-in-law wants to know why this happened. But she says the family is focusing on his recovery. She says there are hopeful signs. Yesterday Armstrong moved his right arm.

"We're very grateful that he's alive, and his children are glad that he's here," she said.

Police say Hines was seen smoking marijuana in Cedar City just before he went to Panguitch Lake. They say he does have a felony conviction for auto theft in California. But that doesn't explain a motive. Police say Hines' family has no explanation for his behavior.

Hines made his first court appearance in Panguitch today and heard the charges against him. He is charged with 15 criminal counts, including attempted murder and attempted kidnapping.

Hines was ordered to remain in jail and a status hearing was scheduled for August 23.

Contributions to the victim are being accepted in a trust fund at any Zions Bank.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report)

Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast