News / Utah / 

Cyprus High briefly locked down after report of gun

By Mike Anderson and Pat Reavy | Posted - May 11, 2011 at 5:36 p.m.

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KEARNS — Several Cyprus High School students were being questioned Wednesday after a gun was reportedly brandished by one group of students at another group.

Details were still being sorted out Wednesday afternoon as to what happened, said Unified police detective Levi Hughes.


Investigators believe two groups got into two confrontations Wednesday morning, one off-campus and one at school. At some point a gun was brandished, but it was not immediately clear whether that happened at school, off-campus or both, Hughes said.

After hearing about the incidents, police were on standby and were already near the school, 8623 W. 3000 South, when officers saw both of the groups returning to the building, Hughes said.

The students saw the officers and ran into the school. The officers chased the group and put the school on lockdown, not knowing whether they were armed.

The students were quickly taken into custody. No gun was found and the lockdown was lifted a short time later, Hughes said.

Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said, "We expect some charges against those individuals based on witness statements and information we've been given so far. (Police) have not located a weapon thus far, but a weapon was flashed."

Det. Hughes said, "We're pretty confident with the information we have that there likely was a weapon."

Students as well as others at the school at the time of the incident were confused.

Weber State University football coach Ron McBride, who was visiting the school, said, "Pretty scary, things like this. It's not anything to take lightly."

Police now have one suspect in custody on charges of aggravated assault; the other suspect was released.

Detectives still don't have a gun, but they say based on witness accounts and evidence they've collected they strongly believe these students did bring a gun to school.

Meanwhile, Granite District officials say students can always report (anonymously if requested) weapons, bullying or other violations of safe school policy by calling 801-481-7199 or by texting 801-664-2929. Posters with this information are posted throughout all Granite District schools.

Emails: and


Mike Anderson
    Pat Reavy


      Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
      By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

      KSL Weather Forecast