News / Utah / 

Farmington Home Goes up In Flames

Farmington Home Goes up In Flames

13 photos

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Sarah Dallof ReportingA Farmington family is homeless tonight. They were forced from their house by a fire that started in the garage.

Fire investigators haven't released their official findings, but the homeowners believe it may have been some combustible materials in the garage that were ignited by the hot weather.

Flames shot out of a broken window, and a pickup truck was damaged. But yesterday where there was anguish, today there is amazement. Homeowner Shane Williams says his family is really blessed.

They were amazement at the number of firefighters who rushed to the scene, and surprise at what they saved. Williams says, "The interior of the house is actually in fairly good shape. We've got some smoke damage and things."

The bedrooms above the front garage were salvaged, but the garage is a different story. Williams says, "We've got some ATVs and motorcycles that we lost." They also lost a truck.

Even more amazing is that the hill next to the house, crowded with dry cheat grass, is untouched. Chief Larry Gregory, Farmington Fire Department, says, "What stopped that hillside from catching fire? I don't know. I wish I knew. We [are] grateful it didn't."

While protecting that hillside, firefighters worked in 100-degree temperatures. Gregory says, "We really overheat them. They're good for about 12 to 15 minutes, then we've got to get them out, get them air and liquids. The guys worked incredibly hard yesterday."

And this isn't the first time emergency crews have been to the home. They've dealt with wildfires and floods over the years, but they've never considered moving and still won't.

There was only one person home at the time of the fire: a teenage boy. He was able to grab the family's pets and get out without injury.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast