Jazz open Revue with last second win

Jazz open Revue with last second win

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY (July 13) -- The Utah Jazz made their 2007 summer league debut against the Atlanta Hawks in game two of the RMR on Friday night. The Jazz's 25th draft pick Morris Almond hit the floor for the first time with the club. Atlanta entered the Revue with two top draft picks off their own in Al Horford and Acie Law IV. Almond's first two points came at the 7:10 mark in the first quarter, but a Ronnie Brewer dunk, courtesy of Dee Brown, scored the Jazz's first points of the night. Brown later made two consecutive steals that resulted in layups for the home team. Rafael Araujo led the Jazz with eight points in the first. Horford led the Hawks with four and the Jazz were ahead at the end of one, 18-16.

The Jazz's other newcomer Kyrylo Fesenko made his first appearance just before the first quarter ended and made some noise in the second. He recorded his first assist, block, and steal within seconds from each other. The Jazz would go up 23-17, but it didn't last long. The Hawks clawed back quickly to take the lead by one; however, the Jazz would hold them scoreless for nearly three minutes. Horford connected on two free throws ending the drought and Law threw up an off balance jumper that went in at the buzzer and the teams went into halftime tied at 33. Horford was the lone double figure scorer at the half with 11.

Almond hit a long range jumper for the Jazz's first field goal in the second half, prompting Atlanta to take a quick timeout. Two plays out of the timeout and the Hawks got a slam by Horford. Brewer came up hobbling from the play and left the game to have his ankle re-taped. The next timeout would come at the 2:41 mark in the third when the Jazz led 45-42. Brewer returned to the game to finish the third following the timeout and the Jazz finished three quarters with the lead 49-48. Almond joined Horford with double figures. The new Jazzman had ten while Horford had 14.

The Jazz went scoreless for the first two and a half minutes in the fourth until a jumper by Araujo. By the 3:47 mark three Jazz players were in double figures to the Hawks' one. Matt Lojeski sank a three-pointer for his tenth point and the Jazz trailed 56-58. Millsap muscled his way inside to tie the game at 58.

Up two points with 11 seconds to play, the Jazz went to the bench on an Atlanta timeout. Straight out the timeout, Williams took it strong to the bucket, making the basket and the free throw after a Millsap foul. The Jazz took the next timeout with 5.9 on the clock, down 63-62.

Off the inbounds pass, Almond missed a jumper, but Millsap rebounded and put it back up as he was fouled to go up by one with 1.7 seconds left. He missed the free throw but Williams' full court toss was off the mark and the Jazz won 64-63.

Horford led the Hawks with 18 points and six rebounds. Millsap, Almond, and Lojeski each had 12 points on the night to lead the Jazz. Millsap led all players with nine rebounds.

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

Utah JazzSports


Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast