News / Utah / 

Fast-Burning Fire Engulfs Garage

Fast-Burning Fire Engulfs Garage

4 photos

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) Rude awakenings aren't uncommon among college students, but this morning it wasn't a college prank, rather a fast-burning fire.

It started in the garage of a home near 1200 East and 500 South just before 6:30 this morning. Because of the garage's contents, the fire quickly engulfed the structure and spread to the houses on both sides.

Courtesy of Brandon Welch
Courtesy of Brandon Welch

The smoke woke up Nicole Elgueta. She said, "There was a garage in the back with a couch. It's not there anymore. The motorcycle blew up. There was a little motor home; that's gone. Everything just went up in flames."

Nick Evans was sleeping in the basement apartment when the fire started. He said, "Everyone was yelling get out of the house. It's on fire. It's burning down. The windows started blowing out. And it just got out of control, you know."

Some witnesses say flames were at least 20 feet in the air. The most severe damage was kept to the exterior. The interior suffered minor smoke damage.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast