News / Utah / 

CO poisonings prompt reminder of Ogden's monitor requirement

By Alex Cabrero | Posted - Feb. 22, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN -- Four people in Ogden were poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home Tuesday morning. They were transported to LDS Hospital to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber.

Their house didn't have a CO monitor, and Ogden city leaders say this is a good reminder of how important, and easy, it now is to get one.

Carbon monoxide monitors cost $10 for Ogden residents if they buy them from the city.
Carbon monoxide monitors cost $10 for Ogden residents if they buy them from the city.

Ogden has an ordinance where all homes are required to have CO monitors. For residents, they only cost $10 at City Hall if you show proof of residence.

Of course, not every home has one. That's why, sometimes, the fire department gets calls like the one they had early Tuesday morning.

"The CO detector could've helped prevent this problem from happening," said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Chad Tucker.

A family member called the residents of the house off 2nd Street in Ogden, noticed they didn't sound right, and called for help.

Four residents were taken to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Investigators say a water-heating pipe was disconnected, filling the house with CO.

"Anything over 14 parts per million, we get concerned," Tucker said, "especially if we get over 35 parts per million."

Monitors on the firefighter's bags measured 375 parts per million in the house -- more than 10 times what's considered dangerous.

Five years ago, an Ogden man died from carbon monoxide poisoning, and three policemen who went to help got sick because they didn't know the carbon monoxide was there. The gas has no taste, color or smell.

That incident led to all first responders being required to have CO monitors and prompted Ogden's ordinance.

The names of those being treated in Tuesday's incident have not been released, so their current conditions are not available.

E-mail: acabrero@ksl.com

Related Stories

Alex Cabrero

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast