News / Utah / 
Rocky Mountain Power offers holiday safety tips

Rocky Mountain Power offers holiday safety tips

By KSL.com | Posted - Dec. 15, 2010 at 4:22 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Rocky Mountain Power is reminding customers to take safety precautions this holiday season. The company offered several tips:

  • Never use indoor lights outdoors.
  • Take care when climbing ladders to hang outdoor lights. Watch out for overhead power lines - stay more than 10 feet away from lines.
  • Inspect electrical cords and plugs each year for damage.
  • Don't overload extension cords or outlets with too many plugs. If cords become hot to the touch when in use, it's likely a sign of an overload or other problem.
  • Use only safety-tested lights and extension cords that carry the "UL" label.
  • Never put extension cords under rugs, and keep them away from water, heat sources or metal pipes.
  • Never modify three-pronged plugs to fit two-pronged sockets.
  • Always turn off holiday lights when going to bed or leaving home.
  • Keep multi-purpose, or ABC, fire extinguishers in the home in case of electrical fire.

Rocky Mountain Power also says children should be reminded of the basic rules of electrical safety. Keep electrically-powered games, toys and appliances away from water, and keep children's hands away from wires, cords and outlets. Adults should help children heed the safety precautions included with games, toys and other electronic items.

Related Links

KSL.com

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast