SPRINGVILLE -- A supermarket worker trained as a medic in the military used those skills to help an unconscious boy in the store parking lot.
The Daily Herald reports Carlos Gomez was working his shift at the Reams in Springville Nov. 3 when a customer ran in yelling for someone to call 911. A boy was choking in the parking lot.
Another store employee said the young boy had thrown up and aspirated the vomit.
Gomez told the paper he asked someone else to call 911 and ran into the parking lot. He found the boy was limp and unresponsive.
Gomez started CPR then started rescue breathing. He was joined by an off-duty medical technician who continued the chest compressions. The boy eventually started breathing on his own.
Gomez said he was trained as a medic with the National Guard and was glad he could help. Reams rewarded him with a gift card.