News / Utah / 

Doctor Wants Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hotels

Doctor Wants Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hotels

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Andrew Adams, KSL NewsradioCarbon monoxide poisoning has left 27 people dead and more than 700 poisoned over 15 years. Yes, it strikes at hotels, too.

Dr. Lin Weaver's seen enough carbon monoxide victims from hotels and motels come through his hyperbaric unit that he started wondering how often such poisoning occurs. So he researched it.

Researchers found 68 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning at hotels and motels between 1989 and 2004. Those cases resulted in 711 guests being poisoned, along with 41 employees or owners and 20 rescue personnel. There were 27 deaths during that time period. Six of the victims were given awards from a jury. The average jury verdict was $4.8 million.

Researchers say the study found no statement from the American Hotel and Lodging Association related to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dr. Lin Weaver says he hopes congress someday might take action the way it did with smoke detectors.

He says the hospitality industry has really done nothing to solve the problem, although it's an easy fix. "Having a CO alarm inside the room would be an obvious solution because then it should go off," he says. Until that happens, Weaver says people should pack their own detector and take it with them.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast