Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
WEST JORDAN, Utah (AP) -- More than a dozen lawyers have said no to taking over the appeal of death-row inmate Ralph Menzies.
Court officials have been searching for a new attorney for Menzies for a month. His former attorney, Elizabeth Hunt, was allowed to withdraw from representing him because of a possible conflict of interest.
Assistant Attorney General Thomas Brunker says he's reviewed the possible conflicts and thinks Hunt should be reinstated. He says it would be inappropriate to delay the appeal.
Menzies was convicted of murder in the 1986 kidnapping and slaying of Maurine Hunsaker.
But last year, the Utah Supreme Court reopened Menzies' appeal saying his prior attorney provided "deplorable" representation. Another hearing in the case is scheduled for June 25.
Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)