News / Utah / 

Scratching Game Gives Girl Life-Threatening Infection

Scratching Game Gives Girl Life-Threatening Infection

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) -- A 14-year-old girl got a potentially fatal arm infection from playing a game that involves scratching the skin.

A scratch on the girl's hand caused an infection in which toxins destroy skin and muscle.

Doctors were initially worried the teen would not survive the flesh eating bacteria and they would have to amputate the arm. The girl has improved and will likely keep her arm, but it will probably be less functional than before the infection.

The girl's stepfather says she was scratched by a friend while they were playing a game.

The game is known as the "ABC game" and involves seeing how long someone can tolerate having the letters of the alphabet scratched into their skin.

The girl's parents went to school officials to make sure they knew about the game and the potential dangers.


Information from: The Spectrum,

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast