Utah students opting out of tests could hurt overall results, block federal funding
A new plan with the U.S. Department of Education will classify some students who opt out of statewide testing as having failed the tests — a shift in numbers that could make Utah ineligible for more than $120 million in federal funding.
Latest News & Features
Jonathan Lemire, Jill Colvin and Vladimir Isachenkov, Associated Press | Posted Jul 17th - 6:58am
In an extraordinary embrace of a longtime U.S. enemy, President Donald Trump openly questioned his own intelligence agencies' firm finding that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. election to his benefit, seeming to accept Russian President Vladimir Putin's insistence that Moscow's hands were clean.
Lisa Riley Roche, KSL | Posted Jul 17th - 6:46am
The Utah Department of Transportation's fleet of incident management team trucks that primarily patrol Wasatch Front freeways could end up covered with sponsor advertising.
Ashley Imlay, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 10:34pm
Two teenage boys were involved in a rollover accident Monday that left one seriously injured and the other in critical condition.
EastIdahoNews.com Staff | Posted Jul 16th - 10:14pm
The family of an 11-month-old Idaho Falls girl is grieving after the child died last week following surgery at Primary Children’s Hospital.
Matthew Pennington and Kathy Gannon, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 10:03pm
The United States is open to holding direct talks with the Taliban to encourage negotiations between the militant group and the Afghan government to end 17 years of war, U.S. officials said Monday.
Ashley Imlay, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 9:51pm
As firefighters increase containment of the Dollar Ridge Fire, residents in areas of the evacuation zone can soon return to their homes, Duchesne County Sheriff's Office announced on Monday.
David Ginsburg, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 9:36pm
The ball cleared the center field wall, and the sellout crowd roared. Bryce Harper threw his bat in the air, thrust both index fingers skyward and yelled with delight as a shower of streamers rained upon the crowd of 43,698.
Stacey Plaisance and Kevin McGill, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 9:22pm
A little girl's teary-eyed self-portrait, stuffed toys and a stick of taffy from a local street vendor, were among the items left at the entrance to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans on Monday — a makeshift memorial for nine animals killed by a jaguar that escaped its enclosure two days earlier.
Best of Prime Day Deals: Free $5 Amazon credit, lowest prices on Amazon Fire Tablets, Streaming Sticks and Cloud cameras
Tech Bargains | Posted Jul 16th - 9:00pm
Welcome to TechBargains' Weekly deals today featuring the best current deals from the Amazon Prime Day Sale with deals on Smart Home, electronics, TVs and more.
Annie Knox, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 8:37pm
A Taylorsville man charged with accidentally starting a wildfire near Brian Head last summer has asked a judge to transfer his case outside Iron County, saying online comments show he is hated in the rural community.
Lisa Mascaro and Matthew Daly, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 8:33pm
"Bizarre." ''Shameful." ''Disgraceful." That's the swift and sweeping condemnation directed at President Donald Trump on Monday after he sided with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a stunning appearance in Helsinki — and that's just from the Republicans.
Audrey McAvoy and Caleb Jones, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 8:33pm
An explosion caused by lava oozing into the ocean sent molten rock crashing through the roof of a sightseeing boat off Hawaii's Big Island, injuring 23 people Monday, officials said.
Anne D’innocenzio, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 8:23pm
Amazon’s website ran into some early snags Monday on its much-hyped Prime Day, an embarrassment for the tech company on the shopping holiday it created.
Tania Dean, KSL TV | Posted Jul 16th - 8:16pm
Police say a repeat DUI offender caused a crash outside a state liquor store in Orem, injuring two Utah girls.
Jonathan Lemire, Jill Colvin and Vladimir Isachenkov, Associated Press | Posted Jul 16th - 8:13pm
In an extraordinary embrace of a longtime U.S. enemy, President Donald Trump on Monday openly questioned his own intelligence agencies’ firm finding that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. election to his benefit, seeming to accept Russian President Vladimir Putin’s insistence that Moscow’s hands were clean.
Amy Joi O'Donoghue, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 7:39pm
Critics are upset at the Bureau of Land Management for its Monday announcement that more than 330,000 acres across the state will be offered up for potential oil and gas development at a December auction.
Katie McKellar, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 7:23pm
In a joint news conference with Salt Lake City Council members Monday, Gov. Gary Herbert announced a compromise made up of a long list of changes to the controversial Utah Inland Port Authority law and called a special session for Wednesday.
Marjorie Cortez, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 7:04pm
The Utah State Board of Education, meeting in a special meeting Monday, authorized $1.4 million in loans to charter schools and wrote off a $45,000 loan balance from a charter school that lost its charter last fall.
Ashley Imlay, KSL | Posted Jul 16th - 6:24pm
Mosquitoes near Willard Bay in Box Elder County have tested positive for West Nile virus, the Utah Department of Health confirmed Monday.
- Idaho family grieves loss of 2nd baby in 2 years
- Man arrested in connection with body found in Ogden
- Fox is 9th casualty after jaguar's weekend escape at zoo
- Rollover leaves teen in critical condition, seriously injures another
- Man charged with starting Brian Head fire wants trial moved, cites 'hatred' in community
- Utah students opting out of tests could hurt overall results, block federal funding
- 2 girls injured in DUI crash as repeat offender leaves Orem liquor store
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
- Trump returns from summit with Putin to forceful criticism
- Best of Prime Day Deals: Free $5 Amazon credit, lowest prices on Amazon Fire Tablets, Streaming Sticks and Cloud cameras - SPONSORED
- Utah's Zack Moss named to Maxwell award watch list; Anae, Blackmon to Bednarik
- Weber State picked to finish 2nd in Big Sky; 6 players named to all-conference team
- Great Clips of the Week: 'Drain my bank account,' RSL coach Mike Petke says in fiery remarks
- No doubt: Djokovic wins 4th Wimbledon, 1st Slam in 2 years
- More flash flooding forces trail closures at Zion National Park, 3 small wildfires spark
- Avid Utah hiker shares precautions to protect against heat exhaustion, heat stroke
- Section of popular mountain bike trail reopens in area affected by 2017 wildfire
- Rep. Mia Love, former Democratic opponent, promote outdoor recreation impacts on business