News  /  Utah  / 

Shutterstock/File

Lawsuit filed after e-cigarette explodes

By Dennis Romboy  |  Posted Nov 4th, 2014 @ 7:34am


24

 

SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake County man suffered severe injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in his face, according to a federal lawsuit filed Monday.

Ronald D. Boren claims the Prodigy V3.1 electronic cigarette unexpectedly blew up while he used it at his home in February 2013. The explosion sent burning debris and battery acid into his mouth, face and eyes and caught his hair on fire, the lawsuit says.

An ambulance took Boren to University Hospital where he spent nearly 10 days.

Boren bought the device in October 2011 online at puresmoker.com from Pure Enterprises based in Goodlettsville, Tennessee. The company apparently went out of business last year.

The lawsuit seeks damages for medical care and treatment, lost wages, pain, suffering, disability, disfigurement, anxiety, depression, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of the use of his home as well as punitive damages.

A Colorado man sued Pure Enterprises in 2012 when the same model of e-cigarette exploded in his face. His attorneys have also signed on to Boren's case.

Related Stories

Dennis Romboy
0 Pending
24
Comments
Sorry, we are not accepting new comments on this story, but if you have more to contribute please email newstip@ksl.com
    Showing of 24 comments
    Sorry, we are not accepting new comments on this story, but if you have more to contribute please email newstip@ksl.com

    KSL Weather Forecast

    Updated: Saturday July 21, 2018 10:26 pm