News  /  Features  /  Odds & Ends  / 

Idaho Fire Crew's Tater Tots Start Blaze

   |  Posted Dec 27th, 2007 @ 12:27pm



 

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A fire station crew must be a little embarrassed by the way some of this state's famous potatoes got fried.

Boise firefighters returning from a medical call had to turn their hose on the firehouse kitchen after an overheated pan full of Tater Tots melted and set some cabinets ablaze.

The Christmas Eve fire at Station 8 was quickly extinguished, with no injuries. No damage estimate was available.

Investigators were trying to determine why a computerized safety system that automatically turns off appliances when firefighters are called away apparently had not been activated. Assistant Fire Chief Dave Hanneman said the three firefighters on duty might have forgotten to use it.


(Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)