09/22/2013 8:27amWithin hours of the Navy Yard shootings, the FBI had traced the gunman's recent shotgun purchase and sent agents to the shop in northern Virginia where he bought it. Left out of the loop was the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, a surprising snub between top U.S. law enforcement agencies that comes as the ATF struggles to show its relevance in Washington.
Browse by Day Archive
- ‘Football-sized’ rock falls on boy’s head near Bridal Veil Falls
- Police: Copper theft yields 'tens of thousands of dollars in damage'
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed hotel sites worry some high-rise residents
- Ranking domestic airlines from 1st to worst
- Photos: Snowbird faithful hit slopes on final day of the season
- Rose excited for future with annex, 'Lone Peak 4'
- Study: Brain scans reveal hidden consciousness in patients
- The 12 most expensive movies ever made
- 6-hour SWAT standoff ends with 1 dead in Heber
- 'My way of saying thank you:' Veteran with flag salutes motorists for Memorial Day